Sunday, April 10, 2011

Pellet reviews: The Final Destination

This is one of those movies that I would watch when the hubby doesn't feel like taking in a movie in our home theatre (check out Facebook for pics). And after watching this one, I probably wouldn't disagree.

The fourth (and supposedly final - although rumors are that the cow still has some milk to give) installment of the Final Destination franchise continues the premise of the others before it. Basically, the film opens with a big disaster sequence (in this case, things going really bad at the racetrack) that turns out to be a premonition of things to come. Said premonition saves a few lives, but then later the survivors get picked off one-by-one in freak accidents (apparently orchestrated by Death himself) since it was their "fate" to die in the first place.

Great premise, worked well in the first movie, but then sadly had diminishing returns as the franchise progresses (much like the Saw franchise...more on that some other time). This movie is no exception. While the death sequences are quite creative (and sometimes gory), the mythology itself does not evolve. What makes the person so special so that they receive premonitions? Is there really a loophole ( this movie suffers from second endings - think "Poltergeist")? I came into this movie hoping something more would be added to the why's and how's, but sadly came away feeling like I had last night's leftovers.

I watched the blu-ray using the 3D version, using the enclosed 3D glasses. It was okay but nothing special. If anything, it made the movie a bit darker and less vibrant. If I had to do it again, I would likely just watch the 2D version.

If you are a fan of seeing different ways of how people can die in freak accidents, then this movie is for you. Otherwise, this ranks as a movie to watch with more people (and get the fun out of collective screams and gasps), or a "wait for on-demand".

No comments:

A bit of house-cleaning

So I've decided to do a little bit of refresh on my blog, seeing as technology has improved a little bit since my last post. As for my ...