Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Puppy training - Day 6

Today the puppy is training me to give him treats when he is quiet....oh, I'm sorry - is it meant to be the other way around?

Finnegan seems to have developed a little aversion to responding to "outside" since yesterday. He also had a couple of "accidents" indoors, esp. when we are not looking. That tells me that he is not enjoying his trips outdoors. So this morning, I'm developing a new routine:

- Make sure I always have treats in my pocket.
- Say "outside" while putting on leash.
- Carry him to one specific spot outside....this will be the very same spot I will take him to every time.
- *While* he is piddling/pooing, I will say "good poop!" over and over again, and *immediately* give him a treat and make a big happy fuss no more than 2 seconds after he is done.
- Go immediately back inside and play with him for a few minutes.

Overall, the above will help him associate "good times" when he does things outside. Hopefully this will help him get used to the leash and he will soon walk to that spot on his own without having to carry him.

What all the websites says are true - constant vigilance is the key here. Let's see over the next few days if the situation improves. Now I have to read up on all that biting stuff.....

No comments:

A bit of house-cleaning

So I've decided to do a little bit of refresh on my blog, seeing as technology has improved a little bit since my last post. As for my ...